Job Opening: Manager of Collections and Interpretation
The Rotch-Jones-Duff House & Garden Museum (RJD) seeks a part-time Manager of Collections and Interpretation (MCI) to coordinate all aspects of registration and collections management functions for the permanent collection, temporary exhibitions, and incoming and outgoing loans. They are responsible for interpretation of an 1834 whaling mansion. Staff at RJD serve as stewards of an 1834 historic building and garden and as proactive members of the cultural community, helping the museum to serve and respond to the interests of current and potential new audiences. RJD Staff are members of a small team, working together towards accessibility, excellence, inclusion, and meaningful experiences. This position is responsible for the physical integrity, safety, and security of the collection. The MCI puts forward new ideas and narratives to take the collection and its interpretation in innovative directions, relevant to current and target audiences. They will develop and execute strategies for specific audiences, including adults, families, students and educators, aimed at making history relevant and exciting. They assist with interpretive projects including coordination, communication, research, and writing and collaborate on DEAI initiatives for exhibitions and programs. The MCI serves as the staff liaison to the Collections Committee, and works closely with the Executive Director on all narratives, audience development, and educational programming. Applicants should be proficient in Microsoft Office and familiar with social media platforms, as well as having at least three years experience in collections work and public history. For full details, see the job description on our web site: www.rjdmuseum.org. This position reports to the Executive Director, is 16 – 20 hours weekly, with an hourly salary range of $17 – $20 and benefits.
- Create and maintain all object and exhibition related records and files
- Maintain accurate and current location records
- Create and maintain donor records and acknowledgements
- Input data and track collections files through Rediscovery data base
- Oversee collections storage and exhibition spaces with regard to climate, light levels, air filtration, and pest control
- Ensure safe methods for moving, packing, and transporting objects within and outside of the Museum
- Assist with interpretation of permanent collection through in-gallery interpretive texts and technology, public program development and facilitation, and exhibition development
- Liaison to public for collections questions, inquiries, and object donations
- Provide public content related to the collections (program presentations, print and social media)
- Implement tasks according to priorities outlined in a 2019 CAP Assessment and 2021 Strategic Plan
- Other duties, as assigned
To apply: Email or mail cover letter, resume and three references to Dawn E. Salerno, Executive Director, Rotch-Jones-Duff House & Garden Museum, 396 County Street, New Bedford, MA 02740 / email@example.com. RJD is an equal opportunity employer.
Internship opportunities at the Museum are available year-round. See details of how to apply by reading here about the RJD Internship Program.
If you are interested in volunteering at the RJD Museum, please visit our volunteer page.